God Learners never give up

From: Lemens, Chris <CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:41:00 +0000

Peter Metcalfe says "even the Orlanthi believe in the concept of linear time before the Dawn" and uses lots of examples from King of Sartar. My impression is that KoS is written in the voice of someone in Time not pre-Time. Hence, it would necessarily be colored by a post-Dawn understanding of the world that includes Time. Still, it's pretty good evidence.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Yelm travelling the inside of the heavens, then the out, with the outside travelling causing light that is dimmer than otherwise. My impression was that the outermost sky dome was impermeable prior to the destruction of the Spike, which blew a hole upwards through the dome (thus causing the hole that the Blue Moon falls through) and downwards through the earth, sea, and darkness (thus causing the hole that Magasta attempts to fill). I rather thought that Yelm generally stayed on the Spike, where his radiance would be seen by all.

To answer Peter's question about how long different cultures would say that a rotation of the sky takes: It doesn't take Time because Time does not exist. It turns because (not "when") Dayzatar pleases or Mostal operates that way or whatever. They would agree that they could observe and count the turnings. But (incorporating Danny Bourne's reference to Zeno's paradox), there were an infinite number of them at any place (since Time did not exist). This is making my brain hurt.

Thankfully, Lewis Jardine reminds us that Chalana Arroy met Kajabor in Hell, not Wakboth, so ignore my previous explanation (although it should still be theoretically valid).

David Weihe explains his comment about breaking the symmetry. I think what he said was that time was a space-like dimension until the Compromise (or the Dawn or whatever) and thereafter was qualitatively different. This is different from the model that said pre-Compromise there were only three dimensions and post-Compromise there are four. I didn't get the bit about loops at all, but it sounds like something people much smarter than me start saying when discussing string theory, so I'll just leave it alone.

On the whole, I am having to conclude, as did David Cake, that the evidence better supports the idea that the Time existed before that whole Compromise/Dawn thing. Fortunately, all the evidence comes from people who weren't there, so I can insist that they are just reflecting the fact that their minds are so accustomed to the existence of Time that they are unable to communicate or conceive of existence without Time. (More post-modernism here: conception = communication.) In good God Learner (and post-modern) fashion, if I insist on it long enough, it will be true.

Chris Lemens, GL