Stars

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 00:35:32 -0500

David Cake writes:

>Stars are holes in the sky, AFAIK, and they existed before the
>destruction of the Spike.

Chris Lemens:

> I recall other sources saying that the stars were Yelm's light captains and
led the fight during the
> lesser darkness.

There is a tale. in the Gloranthan Encyclopedia, which tells of the Boggles which lived in the Sky. Apparently, they became hungry and chewed holes throuigh the Sky Dome during the Lesser Darkness. This had the fortunate effect of letting the Pure Sky Light shine through and gave hope to the people below. When the Star Captains saw the holes, they built forts around them and these acted as bases to help the surface world. Other beings in the Upper World decided to make holes in the Sky Dome and bring their light to the world. Yelorna, Starbringer, was instrumental in persuading this to happen. However, the fact that it was all caused by a tribe of hungry Boggles and was an accident is something which I love.

The Star Captains actually came down to the Surface World to help those poor mortals. These may or may not have been stars themselves - I personally think that they came from stars, but were not stars.

Don't forget that the Stars themselves are not necessarily beings, but are associated with beings. So, the Polaris Star is not necessarily Polaris himself. However, some stars are beings - confusing isn't it? Basically, as far as I understand it, Stars can be places where the Upper World peeks out through the Sky Dome, whether they are holes, fortresses, voids, beings or whatever.