Oliver's Story

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:19:32 -0500 (EST)

A few comments:
  1. I was rather amused that Martin Laurie and MOB, who between them have provided us detailed accounts of necrophilia, coprophilia, murder, incest, disembowlings and various kinds of human sacrifice, as well as mild flame wars over both Onslaught and the Vadeli, can join hands in finding, respectively, the nature of the posting and the type of the posting to be in "extemely poor taste." Guess it proves Nat Hentoff's point that everyone favors some kind of censorship.
  2. Generally, I don't think that people's personal business belongs on this line, but news that has been disseminated to some 200 million people repeatedly this week can hardly be considered "personal" any more.
  3. In fact, since I am remarkably uninterested in crimes of any sort, and never read such stories, I had no idea that the fellow being accused was "our" Oliver, and learned it only from the post. I do rather wonder why it was submitted anonymously, which is generally a bad precedent.
  4. But surely the fact that this front-page story involves someone known to all of us did deserve to be mentioned on this list.
  5. The only good news for RPG and Runequest players is that, had this case occurred 15 years ago, the RPG angle would have been played up. Now, it is the Internet that is the "sexy" part of the story.
  6. While I do not believe that it was inappropriate to put this news item on the list, David Cheng is surely right that further discussion is inappropriate, and that we should all remember the phrase "innocent until proven guilty."

Jim Chapin