Legal settlements

From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 16:53:13 +0800

David Cake:
Orlanthi trials
>There's nothing wrong with distributing a few gifts to show your
>generosity and dedication to the clan, or in calling on your kin for
>help. That's what kin are for!

        My PC ended up ruling against his relations and then gifting them liberally so that they wouldn't be too pissed off, which was an unusual but in character solution.

Actually I think this fits the Orlanthi idea of reconciliation and negotiation nicely. I had an alternative instance where a man admitted his guilt in a case and agreed to pay weregilds for the deaths he had caused, but only at the level normally granted for bondmen. His opponent was so insulted he stormed off swearing blood and vengeance. And it's coming... (I think this was inspired by an incident in one of the Icelandic sagas.)

Saravan.