Lunar Philosphy

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:56:54 -0600

Michael Cule:
>I'll confuse matters even more by pointing out
>that Greg has said that (IIRC) the West of Genertela represents the
>world's mind, the East her spirit and the central lands her soul. That
>means he sees some difference but I'm buggered if I know what it is.

Peter Metcalfe:

> WEST: Seeks to understand the Cosmos through intellectual means.

> CENTRAL: Seeks to understand the Cosmos through communication with

        the Gods.

> EAST: Seeks to understand the Cosmos through modifying one's own

        nature.

> But then I could be wrong.

Greg has said that this is how the _Lunars_ view the differences in Western, Pelorian & Eastern philosophy.....

Guy Hoyle

> I would not wholly agree; I think that the main reason that the God
> Learners were destroyed was not because they learned of things they
> shouldn't know, it's because they dared meddle in the gods' domain.

        It is the EWF that had "forbidden" knowledge. The DragonNewts decided that the humans (et al) were misusing the knowledge they had shared with them, and that it should be withdrawn. Many holders of the Draconic Knowledge were slain in co-ordinated and near simultaneous attacks, and the rest were 'made to forget'. How this was accomplished I do not know, but humans can no longer learn to speak Auld Wyrmish beyond 25%, so it must have been a major effort. (I think that Delecti is the most notable exception, why do you think he's been hiding in those miserable swamps all these years?)

        The Godlearners were not destroyed for "daring to meddle in the gods' domain", the Gods do not have that much freedom of action left. If they had, the GLs would never have survived the Goddess Switch. The GLs were destoyed when the very nature of Glorantha changed, and much of their magic became useless. Their actions created a sort of tension on the GodPlane which the did not know or realize, or perhaps simply discounted/ignored. When the magic changed, this tension was released as 'backlash'; centuries of accumulated warping vented in one great surge.

        I cannot speak with authority on the Gift Carriers; I can only suggest them to be a metaphor, and not acutal entities. I beleive that any 'GL' who understood the Great Secret had opened his mind in certain ways, and was exposed to the backplash. When said GLs were suddenly surrounded by a mystic aura & their brains came oozing out of their ears, it was reported by observers as being the vengence of the gods, etc. Suitable historical editing by anti-GL cultures would evolve this into the idea of actual entities....

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /
			^

Question: Does this mean that Rupert is Illuminated?