a few answers

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:59:00 -0800

Lorne Booker:
> I can't help thinking that there must be a metaphysical law in Glorantha
concerning the conservation of energy and magic power.

Why? Perhaps POW works more like a mental muscle. If you work hard and strengthen your body, does someone else get weaker? So why can't you strenghten your soul, or spirit? I use a model of living things convert food to MP, and, through learning and focus, MP to POW. But that's my Glorantha.

Simon Phipp

> I cannot for the life of me see why people would prefer that their myths
were confusing, ill-defined and contradictory. Surely it would be better to know what actually happened, rather than what people think happened.

Because it allows more variety, and more MGF. If the universal myths were recorded in black and white, and you came up with a really cool myth-idea for a little corner of Glorantha that needed a tweak in the major mythology, you would have to suspend disbelief to make it work. But if the myths of different cultures are vaguely similar but very ideocentric, then we all have more freedom to build our own Gloranthas.

Oh - and Robin Law's answer, too.

Just so Neil doesn't chew me out for posting and not mentioning Glorantha Con in Victoria this July.... y'all come!

Pam