Re: bolgs

From: Andrew Raphael <raphael_at_research.canon.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:28:18 +1100 (EST)

James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu> writes:

>How do people deal with _at_#$@# bolgs?

Bolgs are useful for troll friends. They're trash for everyone else. It's amusing to have a very well guarded treasure like the one in the ruined tenement near Balastor's Barracks turn out to be a huge sack of bolgs. A real thigh slapper, that one.

>So what to do? Is there a "companion" coin metal that the trolls use
>that Humans just don't see much -- a different kind of lead, or a secret
>metal of the deep darkness? Do they just use Human silvers and golds and
>like it? Is the rationale that trolls basically have a barter economy,
>and bolgs are only there to make small change?

Bolgs are there to pay the Argan Argar trollkin mercenaries. Trolls living in their clans don't have a barter economy at all, they're a big happy family. :-) The trollkin mercenaries look on being paid in holy metal tokens (so useful in a pinch) as a status symbol. it puts them a cut above the trollkin still in clans who have to grovel for their every morsel.

All the more complex trade deals are handled by Argan Argar merchants. I'd be astonished if the merchants didn't run truck scams on their troops.

>For that matter, since an AAer can buy up all the worthless bolgs Humans
>acquire dirt cheap then use them for money among trolls, there's profit
>to be had.

Thunderbreath Gobbleguts is just a tony mercenary dining hall, like Planet Hollywood is a tony hamburger joint. Clan trolls go there only for big, inter-clan parties. They take their own vittles to be prepared by the renowned chefs there. If you've successfully raided the Garden, mama's home cooking doesn't do justice to fresh elf carcasses.

>Since trollish prices are in bolgs for trolls and clacks for humans
>at Goggleguts, are bolgs basically just a way to skin the worthless
>Humans out of some dough?

Tourists and locals. There's a totally different menu up on the wall in Darktongue.