Re: Runes

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 97 13:48 MET

Peter Metcalfe

Ice Rune:
>It's a filled in diamond (as in playing cards). The inherent
>obnoxiousness of the manifest abortion lies in the implication
>that merely by freezing water, you are transmuting substances.

Which is somewhat true... In Glorantha, you get the hybrid between Cold (a sub-category of Darkness) and Water. It is something new in the same sense that mules are something new and different from both horse and donkey.

Anyway, crystallographically this rune is off, too, for a hexagonal crystal.

I said on the Runes:
>>This comes from the initial concept, which the God Learners seem to have
>>taken from the Theyalan Second Council.

>The God Learners had perfectly ample runic sets of their own IMO.
>What do you think they wrote with?

Kingdom of Logic's Linear-B, or whatever you want as a parallel. Unless Aerlit's son brought knowledge of the theist (well, Storm people) runes to the Kingdom...

>>I find it a bit strange that they were so willing to drop their native
>>deities' names - Aerlit for air, Ehilm for fire and the sun, etc., for the
>>Theyalan names.

>I believe the Gods' names in the GL Monomyth were the False Gods
>of today. Look at the False Gods Revolt - the gods there are Ehilm,
>Worlath and an invented one. Wyrms Footprints also talks about
>Ehilm being spread by the Westerners. If the God Learners had
>dropped the names for theyalan ones then we would see the False
>Gods being mentioned as Elmal and Orlanth.

Maybe the God Learner documents used those names, and only the current readers interprete them differently. (Think of Tacitus describing the Germanic gods in terms of Roman ones - Woden as Mercury.)

But then there is Slontos, the key region for contacts between the Theyalans and the early Malkioni. Broken Council Guidebook tells us that the Theyalan missionaries beat the Malkioni ones to the city-states there, and introduced their monomyth. The conversion to Malkionism there likely was achieved by military force - most of the Basmoli in Old Seshnela became Malkioni that way - but the knowledge will have remained.

>IMO Aerlit is a being of Waertagi myth and not a proper god learnerism.

Aerlit was a deity/greater spirit which figured greatly in the later war of the Seshnegi against the Pendali/Basmoli of Seshnela, summoned and controlled by Seshnegi sorcerers. Granted, this was during the Serpent Kings' dynasty period, but part of Malkioni history, especially Jrusteli history. They were settlers from Seshnela, after all.

The Return to Rightness God Learners (i.e. the original fanatics) relegated that myth to the Waertagi, so you might speak the mythical "truth" of Third Age Glorantha, but it wasn't always so.

Air Rune derived from planetary movement:

Still doesn't feel right to me. Umath's path, ok, but up the Spike, not on the Sky Dome. (If the Yuthuppans are right about the golden sky dome, no stars would have been visible there, in any case.)

>And as for anybody explaining the aerial element by this planet, there
>are two possible explainations:

>1) The planet has observable features which embody the Storm
> Element in much the same way as Mars embodies War, Venus
>Love or Jupiter the King of the Gods. Since the stars are orange,
>I think an association with flint or the thunderstone is made.

Except that it isn't a planet in the usual sense.

>2) When the Orlanthi framework of their mythology was still in
>its early state (ie pre-great darkness),

Lesser Darkness, you mean?

>they saw the behaviour
>of the disruptor and took this to be an emblem of their new leader
>(who had brutally deposed the old tyrant) or vice versa (ie the
>liberator was inspired to assasinate the tyrant when he saw how the
>Disrupter destroyed the order of Heaven and made it better).

IMO reliance on the stars came only with the Greater Darkness, and the Star Captains' aid.

>>The spiral is the form of the cyclone, and in smaller scale the
>>whirlwind.

>But nobody knew that Orlanth blows in the form of a cyclone
>or whirlwind until the God Learners started their meterology
>experiments.

Remember that the Orlanthi used to stand on sky-high mountains (like Wintertop) to observe the weather. With Gloranthan visibility phenomena, they might have observed this.