Bolgs

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:17:33 +0100

Peter Metcalfe's interpretation of "Bolgs are worth less to humans" thing amazes me. Not in a bad way or anything. I'd just never envisaged it in those terms.
_

My feeling was that a bolg is worth very little to a human in as much as they never get to spend them. The "never serve a troll and never take his money" attitude means that humans don't use bolgs between themselves and most humans have so little contact with trolls that any bolgs they did acquire would be virtually useless. What use is money if you can't spend it?
_

The situation might be similar in Solar lands. If many of the local shopkeepers are reluctant to accept silver and the moneylenders charge a fee to convert into gold coins, silver guilders, lunars, stars or whatever will tend to be worth slightly less.
_

Not _as much_ less as the stated rate for lead of course. I suspect the one-tenth of a clack rate is partly anti-troll propaganda. I would have thought lead would have had enough practical uses (fishing weights, window leading) to be worth more than a tenth of its weight in clacks.
_

Of course the Kitori (the tribe in Heortland(1) made up partly of trolls and partly of humans(2)) would have a different attitude to lead. Unless of course Peter is right and human contact really does "pollute" the coinage.....
_

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
_

Notes:
(1) I think it counts as Heortland it's down that way somewhere.
(2) This is my attempt to make the posting newbie-friendly - perhaps the odd explanatory note like this would be useful in making the Digest less of an initate cult?