RE: Enchantments

From: Michael A. Derry <derry_at_jugenstil.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:56:55 -0800

Peter Maranci asked:
> Another disturbing point about enchantments: comparing the
>Strengthening and Armoring enchantments, it's hard to understand why
>anyone would use the latter except in the rarest circumstances (or for
>roleplaying reasons, of course). One point spent on a Strengthening
>enchantment on a living being yields an average of 3.5 additional total
>hit points -- enough to add at least one and possibly two hit points to
>each hit location.

Is getting a lot more HP good though? For a double negative 10 HP location, a Heal Wound could suck 20 MP, yow! Another problem with lots of HP is that when the troll crushes and does 34 damage you actually have to heal all that damage. My wimpy 10 HP character can take that 34 damage arm hit and be fully healed and ready for revenge [ie. run away] after a single Heal 6.

> A point of POW spent in an Armoring enchantment, on the other
>hand, gives an average of +2 armor on a specific hit location. This is
>nowhere near as cost-effective, and can still be bypassed by a critical
>hit (which is not the case with additional HPs).

RQ3 Errata says:
Page 57: Armoring Enchantment: Each point of POW adds 1D3 armor points, not 1D6.

Derry house rule: I ignore the change and leave it at 1d6 per POW. I still is not that good, but those who get geases to not wear armor on the head (got to let people see you) usually armoring enchant their head, because aimed blows hurt.

> In the case at hand, it would be sheer madness to use the Armoring
>enchantment on a SIZ 2 alynx. The cost of giving it +2 armor over its
>entire body would instead give it an additional 22.5 hit points -- adding
>5 HP to its limbs, 7 to its head, and 9 to its body locations!

Actually, SIZ 1 animals have one hit location normally, you might want to ask your referee if your alynx can also have only one hit location since SIZ 2 is close. One hit location would make armoring enchant a little better for the alynx. [BTW, you could also look into Tapping the SIZ to one if he lets a SIZ one creature have one hit location. The sorcerer who taps the SIZ might even be nice enough to not Tap some POW or CON too.]

> Once again I find myself thinking about RQ (we really *need* the
>RQ-Rules Digest!).

I second that.

Michael Derry
408/974-7388 wk