Multiple Orlanths

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:51:14 +0100

Loren says:
>There is a continuum of figures of Orlanth that may be met on the
>godplane, after all, and some of them are more human, some are more
>monstrous and incomprehensible, and many are somewhere in between.
>Just as there are many figures of Orlanth that may be found, so are
>there many stories of Orlanth, and some of the stories came from the
>actions of Orlanth Prime, some from Orlanth Humanis in various
>guises, and some came about through unknown ways. All we know is that
>Orlanth Prime is NOT responsible for all the myths that bear its name
>and carry heroquesters on a path to its power, and that is the real
>meaning when people say that the gods have lost their free will.
>Their stories are no longer their own, but the stories of mortal men.

As i tend to agree with Loren, i do it again.

Does it really matter, game-wise, character-wise, whether Orlanth is/was real or is/was created, or both, or neither? Orlanth *is* or, rather, the culturally multitudinous Orlanths *are*. The regionally variable rituals, visions, interventions, heroquests and magics are for real.

Loren's view is most versatile. It enables almost any variety the GM may wish, and disables almost nothing.