Oaths, fertility, hypocritheisy

From: Philip Hibbs <PHibbs_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 20:52:30 -0500

>Humakt is also the god of oaths. If you want to convince others of your
>sincerity, you swear by Humakt.

Or by Styx, if you are Really Really Serious - if you break an oath to Styx, YOU WILL CHOKE TO DEATH. Cool!

I wonder how this would affect someone who has achieved immortality through the Hill of Gold HQ. I suppose it would still work, as it is supposed to work on gods.

Sorry, but I can't remember where I got this from, or if it's OOP.

>>Holy >>Country Humakti, Lunar Yanafali, [...]
>>mostly require little if any fertility loss. [...]
>>(NB. I see Shargash as an exception to this - he's a primal and
>>primitive throwback to Death in its purest form. I reckon his worshipers
>>are infertile.)

>You're going to have a hard time defending this. Shargash is
>acknowledged to have two sons Alkor and Eusibus as well as numerous
>daughters in Trowjang (who certainly are death-obsessed bloodthirsty
>savages).

Thought I'd chuck in a random thought I just had, many gods in 'real' mythology break their own rules - like killing people one week, then telling your followers 'thou shalt not kill' the next, or ruling 'thou shalt not commit adultery', then knocking off Joseph's wife. Not to mention the Greek gods, who were terrible for it.

PHIBBS_at_compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PHibbs

| Phil Hibbs | What immortal hand or eye dare frame thy fearful symmetry? |