Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #260

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_mail.airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 22:35:26 +0000

> ***Genert's death, effects of:
> Loren objects:
> >I do not agree with the assumption that Genert's death has any
> >effect on human fertility. Genert wasn't a human ancestor. Genert was an
> >earth ancestor, no more than Ernalda's husband in the Garden of Prax.
>
> And Michael Raaterova makes a similar point:
> >Genert's magic was of the very earth and land itself, so the fertility of
> >living creatures, which is the manifestation of Uleria's power, isn't
> >affected much, unless these creatures were tied to Genert, the land or
> >Earth in general.
> So why are there so few plants (Aldrya) and animals (various deities) in
> Prax? Because they're interdependent: no land, no plants, no animals. In
> the RW I'd call it a food chain. Again in the RW, plants and so on that
> aren't doing too well tend not to produce offspring, since they don't
> have the resources to support them. (Yes, there are a few plants that
> seed like mad just before dying and humans are self-destructively
> stupid, but this works for the majority). Since this connection exists,
> and this is Glorantha not the RW, it must be magical/mythical.

Don't forget, too, that Prax and the Wastelands suffered many cataclysms, not just the death of Genert. Oakfed and various storm-gods (sons of Storm Bull?) went on eating binges, and there were several battles against Chaos to further destroy the ecology. I doubt if Genert's death alone would atone for the extent of the devastation in present-day Prax and the wastelands.

Guy

Guy Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org)
Need help building your next world?
Visit The Gamemaster's Bookshelf