replies to Jane

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:37:00 -0800

Jane Williams:

>I've been assuming all along that the Fisher King principle applies in
Glorantha: that is, that the wellbeing of the king/god/land-spirit has a direct effect on the land, and vice versa.

Much agreement. We certainly play that is so. Earth goddesses generally marry local chiefs, kings, etc. The land benefits when the goddesses marry the king. Of course, it helps if the king is a righteous, studly dude, like Orlanth, Yelm, Barntar, Lodril, Yu-Kargzant, Pamalt, or even Argan Argar.

>A thought: if the Death rune removes all fertility, can anyone explain
Tolat to me?

All will be revealed this summer in Victoria.

>? Didn't someone once say that opposed runes were a tad chaotic?

Of course they aren't! Many deities have "opposed runes", or dualistic natures. Many of them are in Peloria, (Yelm, Dendara, Lodril, the Red

Goddess, Shargash, Natha, Naveria, Orogeria....).  But they're not
chaotic.  In fact, Pelorians don't really identify Chaos as a special
source of badness, as the Theyalans do.

 See?

(Peter Metcalfe explained it quite well too, though less subjectively!)

>But creating a brand-new, living thing: now that's tricky. (Yelmites and
similar lesser
life-forms are not expected to believe this).

Hey! Have you memorized all One Hundred Names of the Almighty Godfather? Fully half of them have to do with creation and engendering stuff. Heck - in fact, the creation of humans was so tricky, Yelm even accepted help from five other gods to do it, three of them FEMALE! See the concessions the Keeper and Source of All Justice made for the good of the world?

What a guy....

>***War Clans Pam Carlson explains it all, and as usual with her
explanations, I agree with every word.

Wow! Keep it up, Jane! In Orlanthi society, flattery gets you everywhere....

>Could someone who actually uses this War clan/ peace clan stuff post a full
description, please? I
get the general idea, but specifics would be nice.

We are writing it up for the Glorantha Con V book, which will be called "Enclosure", along with a bunch of stuff on Alkoth, holiday capital of Peloria. It will be available at the Con, and then through Wizard's Attic as a Duckpoint Press thingymabobber. I would like to post all kinds of stuff here, but then we wouldn't have anything to stick in our booklet.

Hint - read the "Korol's Sagas" and Theya's stories on David Dunham's website for examples of how war clans/peace clans work in a clan-based campaign.

James Frusetta:

>The first time the Lunars show up, the Orlanthi may well offer personal
challenges -- until the Lunars show their true colors.

Sure, but the Lunars have been fighting Orlanthi for a very long time, and they keep written records. To a Sartarite tribe, the "Lunars" may be a mysterious new enemy, but any reasonably prepared commander of an imperial expeditionary force could be familiar with barbarian customs and tactics. Therefore, he may know the value of personal challenges, and have a "ringer" well prepared.

Of course, the Lunars have their share of ignorant putzes, pompous gits, and murdering bastards, all of whom might decide to ignore the challenge.

On that happy note....

Pam

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #262

WWW at http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html