PC races/selfish trees

From: Bill.McKinley_at_mailhost.dpie.gov.au
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:04:10 +1000

                      PC races/selfish trees                       4/4/97
Nils Weinander said:

>I may be overly harsh, but I _never_ play non-humans and
I don't allow non-human PCs when I'm the GM.

I agree, but only because Gloranthan non-human races are so alien. (I don't see anything wrong with playing non-humans in AD&D, for example).

Back in my RQII days, before I found out about the Mostali world machine and elven eco-terrorism, I used to allow PCs to play elves and dwarves -- they used to play them according to the standard AD&D/Tolkien archetypes. I only ever had one player who chose to play a duck, and he regretted it.

But once I discovered how odd Gloranthan elves and dwarves really are, I decided to stop allowing PCs to play nonhumans. There is enough conflict within a party over cult and national affiliations without adding bizarre racial attitudes into the mixture as well. Furthermore, the nonhuman races in Glorantha are a great MGF aid for the GM -- and if the PCs know too much about them, they won't be as shocked and surprised by what nonhumans get up to as they should be.

Richard Melvin said:
>what would elves be like if they were just a tree's way of making
 more trees?

Interesting thought! I am reminded of the end of a David Attenborough nature program I saw once, when he pointed out that plants like wheat and barley were incredibly successful because they had manipulated their environment (us!) into ensuring their survival and propagation over vast areas of the world (eg the midwestern US).

Bill