Ride 'em Cowboy!

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 04:05:28 -0500 (EST)

Pam Carlson notes...

> The small Galloway cattle Joerg refers to are stunted beasts from
> northern islands with poor fodder. Wild cattle are *big*: bison, cape
> buffalo, guar, aurochs, and water buffalo are normal sized cattle, and
> they are all big enough to ride.

       Hmm, and in the "real world" they aren't ridden usually, although I did see a bison rider at a rodeo in Belle Fourche, South Dakota; bison are the only one of your list there that get ridden in Glorantha coincidentally.

       Are there legends about just how humans in Glorantha started riding beasts? While there's a lot of draught animals and pack animals on Earth, to the best of my recollection people only ride (except as a novelty) horses, donkeys, horse-donkey hybrids, camels, and elephants. That first guy to get on a critter and ride it instead of doing like any sane person and hooking it to a cart or chariot was a brave person indeed.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...