Re: First Age Orlanthi sources

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 97 14:59 MET DST

Nick Brooke helpfully steps in.

>Following in the footsteps of my style guru, MOB, I have decided to append
>a randomly-selected Note from Notchet to this email. Enjoy!

I did. (Randomly selected???)

Do you happen to know who is the real world equivalent of Likstrandos?

>>From the Notes from Nochet files:

>[XXIX.13-38] Introductory note, by a Grey Sage of Jonstown:

>This information is from Likstrandos, [...] In fact, these notes are
>from the Gloss, or perhaps an early draft of it.

>"Before the time of Harmast Barefoot, there were ten tribes of the
>Heortlings: [...]

This still makes me wonder about the origin of the Gansavuli, and the name "Gansaland" for southern (modern) Heortland and northern God Forgot. According to that piece of Greg's, -vuli signifies a Star Tribe (which I interprete as originated in the Greater Darkness, when the Star Captains helped).

It is also unfortunate that to German ears, Gansaland sounds like goose-land. This close to Duck Point, unwanted associations grow...

>The last two surrendered after the Battle of Vanntar in 397, when
>dragonewts were destroyed by dwarf magic. So many people fled to the
>Stormwalk Mountains that a new tribe, the Hendriki, was formed from their
>refugees.

So the Hendriki became the Eleventh tribe of the Heortlings?

>When the Dorastan Empire enforced their rule upon the tribesmen,
>they forced all to accept the worship of Lokamayadon instead of Orlanth.
>The people who protested departed the valleys, and lived the Old Way in the
>hills, without fields or ploughs.

It is unclear whether this applies to the Hendriki as well. Can you clarify that?