Appearance of the Hero Place

From: Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 06:12:02 -0400

Has anyone worked up any notions of what the Hero (and/or God) Plane(s) physically look like? For example (and I don't like this, but it's something to throw out), would the Gods Plane look like the mundane plane, only the gods would have big fortresses and mansions dotting the landscape? The Storm Gods live over here, in Stormville, and the Darkness Gods are over there in the cave, etc. Or, would it appear more as a profile? Darkness Gods under the Earth gods under the Storm Gods under the Sky Gods?

What about the Heroplane? I figure the HQs of travel are something like being on a road. "Well, we can take the right path which goes to the Mundane plance and get to the Holy Country in 2 weeks, or take the left path that goes through the Dark Forest, around Spirit Lake, and past the Dark Tower."

All this talk of "going off established paths" made me think of this. Partly, because I've wondered what goes into founding a subcult that offers a new spell to a god. In Rich Ohlsen's game, it is oriented towards Humakti and the seas (we were all sailors for awhile). I got thinking that a "marine" subcult to Humakt would be something new (nevermind, that it really probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense). How to found a subcult is a different matter. It involves going off a known path (or at least those known to Humakti). If the Hero (or actually, probably in this case the God) Plane has geography similiar to the Mundane plane, would I get Breath Air/Water by going down to the ocean, beating up the spirits and beings who know Breath Air/Water, and forcing them to teach it to me? That sounds reasonable to me, but if the Hero and God Planes don't look like the Mundane plane, it won't work.