Re: Ernalda & Humakt

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:08:56 -0700

Christoph Luehr asked

> Is there anywhere a Ernalda Cult-writeup around ? I own a lot of
> Glorantha stuff, but can't find it anywhere.

It's in the Glorantha Book in RQ3. Since it covers the cult over a very wide area, chances are the details are a somewhat inaccurate average.

On East Ralios web pages, Ralia is a close approximation (as Orlanth's chief wife).

> BTW, if a Orlanth-Initiate changes to Humakt, does he lose his spells
> imediatly ? And what about his spiritmagic. Does he lose these, too ?

Not in my game. And I believe many Humakt initiates continue to be Orlanth initiates. Again, refer to Sarostip Cold-Eye, the Humakti clan chief and probable next king of the Malani [Wyrms Footprints p.99]. Surely no tribe or clan will accept an outsider as king or chieftain, so Sarostip has not severed himself from his kin. And King of Sartar [KoS.255] says that kings must be initiated to Orlanth. Admittedly, I'm using sources written in different decades, but no official sources I'm aware of have given additional information.

Now, certainly specific Humakt (sub)cults might require initiates to repudiate their kin or former cult. Even if so, I don't think you'd lose your rune magic (it would be very difficult to regain), and certainly not your spirit magic.