Re: Perception of Basmoli

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 23:01:02 +0000

Me:
> >This is Glorantha. If they all believe, wholeheartedly, that they look
> >like lions, and keep that belief up, then they will look like lions.
 Peter Metcalfe :
> But what about the Praxians and others who think that they look like
> humans rather than Kzinti?

It's all a matter of culturally coloured perceptions, as I explained in the next paragraph ( the one you didn't quote).

If you ask one of these Praxians, she'll explain that really it's the high meat diet that gives them those pronounced cheek muscles, it's the unkempt hair-style that makes them look like they've got a mane, and obviously they file their teeth. Oh, and having the men laze round all day while the women do all the work is perfectly normal. See, they're human, just odd.

Read some Pratchett, where he's describing an encounter between a normal human and Death, for better examples. "That man's a skellington,. mummy! No, dear, he's just been very ill."

More interestingly, if one of these Praxians tries to cast Heal at a Basmoli, Heal 1 will work. If another Praxian, who believes Basmoli are lions, tries the same thing, he'll need Heal 2.

Jane Williams                        jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/index.shtml