Illumination, Calenders and Compasses

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:34:11 +1200

Thomas Gottschall:

>1. Why does Illumination work, how makes oneself immune from gods
>retribution

Illumination is an spiritual awareness of a facet of the universe that is not normally apparent to most mortals. To the theist, this normally confers the awareness that what the Priest says is not necessarily right (ie It reveals the hollowness behind such rules like "God will smite you if you do such and such"). With further development of this awareness, one can transcend whatever cults rules he or she was raised up with.

There's much more about the theory of illumination which is given in the RQ-Con II Compendium.

>2. Is there a compass in Glorantha and where does it point to ?

A Tin Compass is mentioned in Sun Country which points to Magasta's pool.

Michael Cule:

NW>> Since Sacred Time is of varying length in different
>> parts of the world that isn't a big problem.

>Where does this come from?

The Doraddi have a Holy Week of only six days that is mentioned in Book V of the RQ3 rules. The Kralori also have a variant calender (given in the first book of the Genertela set) but the details of that slip my mind. It is stated somewhere within the Fortunate Succession that the Dara Happans picked up the Sacred Time from the Theyalans during Nysalor's empire.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #355