more Telmori

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:32:59 +1200

Thomas Gottschall:

>The
>Trollkin curse was the next trick of Gbaji who "proved" that way that
>again Nysalor can't be such a good diety if he cast such curses against
>his former friends.

A short chronological note: The trollkin curse came before the curse of the Telmori.

>I take the cult write-up of Telmor in DORASTOR as an error. Why should
>Telmor be tied to the chaos rune ? He doesn't grant very much chaotic
>power, does he ?

This is what people think his runes are in their 'objective' opinion.

>But, has anyone out there heard of
>Telmori who worship primal chaos and who have chaotic features ? NO,
>because there are none. Every Telmori who accepted the blessing detects
>by the curse of Gbaji as chaotic while he isn't.

There are some twisted wolves in Dorastor IMO. They are considered to be not-Telmori by the mainstream tribes.

[on the 'mindlessness of Telmori']

>OK. I think I exaggerated a bit. So their IQ drops to that of a wolf.
>Before I go on I quote DORASTOR p.25 : "...that the Telmori are cursed
>with chaos and must become, unreasoning, savage beasts under the full
>moon, to dash about the forest slaughtering man and beast alike in
>frenzied bloodlust." The mindlessness I ment was that they don't
>recognize anyone but only destinguish between pray and wolf.

The quote is a common misunderstanding IMO about Telmori. When they change into wolves on wildday, the Telmori are at their strongest militarily. So it behoves them to do kick ass (ie bite the postman, worry the sheep etc) on this particular day. To do it on any other day means they can get hurt by someone with a pointed stick and so they don't bother.

From the *outsiders* PoV, the Telmori seem to be quiet six days out of seven and then turn into ravening beats on the seventh. Thus the outsiders belief is reinforced by the practices of the Telmori.