Re: Chris's poll

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 03:44:29 -0400

Chris Bell proposed an informal poll. Here's my $0.02:
  1. I came into Glorantha through RuneQuest, not fiction, but it was the richness of the fictional Gloranthan setting that gripped me, not the=

(good for their day, but rather clunky) RuneQuest rules themselves. My fa= ve
bits of RQ1 were the "mythic origins" for monsters and the William Church=

maps at the back, esp. the Block.

b) I still play Glorantha-based RPGs and write scenarios, freeforms,=

cult writeups and the like for RuneQuest and other systems, but I seldom write (or read) game mechanics any more, preferring a rules-lite freeform= y
style;

c) I also write Gloranthan articles and fiction (including myths, histories, folk-tales and poems), and see these as ways of enhancing our gaming experience (FWIW, I know one gaming group in the North started an inter-clan feud over an in-game telling of one of my folk-tales!).

BTW, Chris postulates that a Glorantha where the gods struggle for supremacy through their worshippers is incompatible with a Glorantha wher= e
the Lunars could be correct. I can't understand this. Consider this (Orlanthi/Monomyth POV):

  1. The Red Goddess has been accepted into the Great Compromise;
  2. Orlanth wants to overthrow the Red Goddess and destroy the Moon;
  3. By doing this, Orlanth is trying to break the Great Compromise;
  4. Breaking the Great Compromise would let Chaos into the world;
  5. Haven't we been here before, with Orlanth vs. Yelm and all that?

Saying that the Orlanthi POV is by definition "correct" and that the Luna= rs
are necessarily wrong (and, I suppose, demonstrably wrong within Gloranth= a,
else what's the point of saying it?) looks like decreasing the role-playi= ng
complexity of the gaming world of Glorantha, giving players less to worry=

about. Why should the answers to moral questions be so simple?

You may not recall that Greg wrote WB&RM (the first Gloranthan gaming excursion) from a morally-neutral standpoint, bringing out the best and worst features of Sartar and the Empire: yes, the Lunar battalia includes=

the Crimson Bat, but the Sartarites have Werewolves and Headhunters (and usually Zombies, too) on their side; articles in early WFs were scrupulously even-handed, and the Arduin Grimoire role-playing stats for heroes showed a "Neutral" Argrath opposing a "Cyclical" Red Emperor: no easy answers there, and deliberately so.

Speaking personally, I make a case for the Lunars whenever I can: because=

it's good fun, it provokes the predominantly pro-Orlanthi/Sartarite gamin= g
community, it's enjoyable to play scenarios as agents of the Evil Empire,=

and (like it or not) there are thousands upon thousands of good and pious=

followers of the Lunar Way from all walks of life who deserve a more inspiring worldview than: "We're all dupes of Chaos who deserve death".

I agree completely that the Lunar Empire is an archetypal Evil Empire in likely-terminal decadence which will shortly face serious military setbac= ks
including a successful rebellion in Sartar, leading to many years of wars=

across Dragon Pass. But it's an interesting setting *because* it is locke= d
in a pattern of internal and external conflicts which force the "politica= l"
actions of the Empire to deviate from the "religious" imperatives of the Lunar Way. This means Lunars can have crises of conscience just as easily=

as Orlanthi (if not more so), which is surely a Good Thing.

What I'm trying to avoid is "knee-jerk" roleplaying:

+ All Lunars are Evil, and they all know it, and act that way too!
+ Murdering Lunars (and suspected Lunars) is always morally right!
+ After all, even the Lunars know that their "religion" is false!
+ Let's kill the Teelo Norri nuns: they're foul Chaos-spawned dupes=
!

I'd rather help develop Glorantha as a world where we don't write off a whole civilisation as "Chaotic Evil"; where we can see that *within* the Evil Empire there are protesters and reformers, zealots and heretics, pacifists and dissidents, as well as corrupt leaders, maniacal warmongers= ,
decadent sultans and scheming politicians; not forgetting the urban and rural populace, largely untainted by any of these weird and disruptive beliefs and activities, who make up the bulk of the conscripts and settle= rs
those blinkered Orlanthi Fundamentalists have been happily butchering in countless bygone gaming sessions...

Nick

PS: heard from Sandy at Games Day '86: one of the doubleplusgood things about the "What the Priests Say" pages in "Gods of Glorantha" was that ma= ny
newcomers to the world of Glorantha, on reading all the pantheons' accounts, ended up convinced that the Orlanthi Barbarians were "the bad guys" of the world. Well, I mean: just look at their track record, eh?

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #491