"On a scale of 1 to 5..."

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 06:01:49 -0400

Alex posts a nice scale, on which I'd oscillate between 2.5 and 4.

There probably is "one true mythic reality" and I have no neat theory to explain it: don't ask *me* what it is! No Gloranthan individual or cultur= e
has ever come up with a proof of what it might be, although many of them can operate perfectly well within their own "unproven" mythic realities (cultural constructs), which are *usually* internally consistent (at leas= t
to a wave/particle level) and can afford to ignore external unknowns or contradictions. The God Learners perhaps came closest to "proving" a myth= ic
reality, but were obviously wrong (this may be a Sandyism manifesting in = my
susceptible brain). But for all Gloranthans, reality (and myth) are what they experience them to be, and we *know* that different Gloranthan mythical accounts of the same event can be inconsistent and correct at th= e
same time (cf. the Four Perspectives and the Multiplicity of Truth).

I think the two extreme positions (1 and 5) have nothing to commend them,=

though a powerful enough heroquester* probably tends towards both, simultaneously (e.g. he is experiencing a consistent and all- encompassin= g
otherworld, and is unaware that it's his presence as observer/definer/solipsist that makes it appear that way).

As usual, I use Objective to mean "external to Glorantha, and never prove= n
or provable within Glorantha", and Subjective to mean "as experienced within Glorantha, and therefore useful in fiction and gaming".

::::

Nick
::::