The Will to HeroQuest.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:45:15 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Joelson reckons that:
> One of the less (poorly?) defined things about HeroQuesting
> and Apothesizing (transcending into Godhood), is what it does to your
> Free Will.

You mean there some _well_-defined things about either HeroQuesting or Apotheosis?

> 1. Everyone starts out with a certain ammount of Free Will.

Also, everyone generates Will through their "normal" life.

> Note that this is from a story I made up, but it's modeled
> after Arkat, who suffered a Wound That Could Not Be Cured during
> his struggle vs Nysalor.

Arkat's Wound Could Not Be Cured for a very particular reason, however: he caused it _himself_, by getting in the way of a blow from another Arkat-aspect, "who" was questing in the role of a different god. Hence, he couldn't cure the wound, because he couldn't "fix" the "paradox".

I'm not sure what the general effect is here. It may be that if you are hurt, or lose something as part of a quest, and don't heal (or regain) it before the end, then you're stuck with that wound, or that non-possession, until later questing can return it to its previous condition. OTOH, I'm uncertain how far this extends to "minor" quests, and to "incidental" injury; if I stub my toe in the Ernaldan HD ceremony, do I have an Incurable Throb for the immeditate future?

> 4. [running out of Will] is what usually causes them to
> withdraw to the HeroPlane, (IMO?). [...]
> 5. Apothesizing to Godhood uses up all/almost all the Free Will you
> have left, if you started out as a mortal. [...]

These two can be looked as simply flip sides of the same coin, I think. While some Apotheoses are altogether more spectacular than others, the net effect is that once you're "run out" of most of your Will, you're largely "stuck" in the invisible world; and how big a change in the world you've made in the meantime, and crucially, whether you established an on-going cult of yourself, determines whether having done so you've become a God, a Hero, or an also-ran HQer. Probably it's better to have an elective apotheosis if it can be arranged, but I bet it's been altogether Unplanned in some cases. (Either getting "stuck", or not to put too fine a point on it, killed.)

Slainte,
Alex.