Re: Resurection/body shop

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 17:07:20 EDT

> From: "David Miller" <davidm_at_cogs.susx.ac.uk>
> The recent comment on the digest has got me thinking. Given that after few
> days the body has decomposed so much that it isn't worth resurecting. Wouldn't
> it be better (if this is possible) to capture the spirit (as hangs around the
> body for seven days before fading into the otherworld) and bind it into an
> animal or into a freshly sacrificed body.

This is the sort of thing that only a particularly NASTY shaman would do. The corpse can be healed to full HP, and then it won't start to go bad until the week that Resurrection can work is up. Instead, you propose to force the spirit into this new Binding object. Once there, it cannot take control of the limbs without additional magic, as the spirit did not Possess the body, itself. Likewise, the Binder will probably be able to control the Bound, which was probably not what the former corpse hoped to get.

If you do supply the additional magic to let the bound spirit control the new body's limbs, it will still be rather clumsy, as all control would have to be conscious (possessing spirits handle the problem by letting the possessed have control over the autonomic actions like balance or walking in a straight line). If the Binder used a fresh corpse then you have created a new sort of zombie, too, a bit like the ones that Delecti uses, in which case the Binder and the Bound are going to have Humakti dropping in for tea and combat occasionally.

To get the ability that you want, the individual would have to HeroQuest for it. Thanatari questers may have found it occasionally, but were probably killed forever by their annoyed followers, outraged to find their future advancement blocked by the non-vacating leaders.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #516