Semantic Confusion.....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:00:40 GMT

"Carlson, Pam" <carlsonp_at_wdni.com> she say:

> There have been a few debate points made that touted the humble toasted
> cheese sandwich as a shining example of something that is real. Real
> yes, universal... no.
>
> In fact, we have it from Martin Laurie, (the Official Glorantha Digest
> Commisar of Arrogance, if you didn't know), that -
>
> (brace yourselves)
>
> in England, a toasted cheese sandwich is just FRIED BREAD! Yup - that's
> right. They just pop the bread in a pan and fry it in butter - no
> cheese, nothing. (It's true! Even MOB commented on it after a
> Convulsions a while ago.)

Umm, I think the stuff you are confusing with Toasted Cheese Sandwiches is what we call Fried Bread. We eat it with egg, bacon and other sundries for the Classic English Breakfast. (Heart failure on a plate.)

What I call I a toasted cheese sandwich is a sealed packet of bread toasted in one of those double hot plate devices with the hot melted cheese sealed within. (Ham and Cheese toasties are even nicer.)

You may also be confused by the existence of the Welsh Rarebit, which is a confection of melted cheese (and other things, including beer if you can get it) on a piece of toast.

The application of this to things Gloranthan ("That's what we call the Sun! It's a big ball of gas." "No, no that's the great god Yelm!" "Liar! The sun is called Tolat and he's my personal lover!") is left as an exercise for the student.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.