Re: Terminology

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:54:12 +0000

Michael Cule said:

> (By the way, let me say that I want to keep the word Hero for its
> specific Gloranthan theological meaning: Someone who alters the
> structure of Other World Reality. I don't think creating a continuum
> down to the farmer defending his stead helps.)

Fair enough. Might I suggest that a Hero (initial capital) keeps this meaning, but a hero (lower-case) is someone who does a brave and self-sacrificing deed?

Now, how you you classify the farmer who does a ritual that increases his clan's links with Ernalda, thus causing her to make his fields more fertile?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml