Was Argrath a Hero?

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 22:56:30 +0100

I know the title seems loopy but I have been using Hero in a very specific sense, to mean someone who makes something new upon the Hero/God Plane of Glorantha.

And it seems to me, in that sense, that until the very end of his career Argrath was not a Hero.

He did some very remarkable things it is true and acquired remarkable powers but we have no evidence that he created anything on the God Plane that was not there before.

He allied with the Giants and with the Dragons. He copied the Lunar military magic. He found a back door out of Hell (to judge by the speed with which he returned Pynchnung (or what ever his name was) to the Cradle.

But with one (possible) exception he did nothing actually new until the very end of his career, when he cut his way into the Lunar Hells to release Sheng Seleris and then (if we believe one source) wove the enchantment that spelled the end for the Gods.

Even the summoning of the Dragons to tear down the Moon was more the judicious application of lore than creativity.

The possible exception is that if he was Argrath White Bull he brought to reality something that had never been before to unify the Tribes of Prax against the Lunars.
- --
Michael Cule