fonrit

From: Peter Metcalfe <phm30_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 12:19:32 +1200

Simon Bray:

>1) The nature of the cult of Darleester the Noose (and that spell)

The Noose of Flesh from the Elric stories springs to mind.

>2) The nature of Gorgandaros(sp?)

Ancestor of the Fonritans and probably the recipient of much worship. His epithet 'the Cruel' probably has a good connotation among the Fonritans much like Ivan the Terrible. I imagine that the rite to summon Garangordos from his grave cannot occur save in the deepest part of the tomb which can only be reached with the co-operation of the eighteen leaders of Fonrit.

>3) The gods of Fonrit in general, all sources suggest Genertelan deities
>that I have rejected and have begun to develope my own cults for the
>region (if anyoneid interested).

I intepret the sources as Minarythized, hence they call the Gods by the names commonly known to the Lhankor Mhy Sages. The Sun God is known as Fida'is in Afadjann (as per ToTRM#11) and probably for Fonrit as a whole. Dormal's name is probably unchanged as his cult was only recently introduced by the Vadeli.

Uleria is probably known as Seseine in Fonrit. Much of her bad reputation comes from the pens of the puritanical Sedalpists but perhaps this is not entirely undeserved. Her Priestesses are able to call forth Love Nymphs and depraved ones can turn into succubi. Perhaps the Men of Fanjosi reproduce by copulating with Inccubi who then transform into Succubi. These succubi then covertly possess a female in the region who then gives birth to a male child. This child can be recognized as a Fanjosite at birth and so is either exposed or sent to the city of Fanjosi to be reared up. Naturally to prevent exposure, the Fanjosites send forth merchants to purchase their children and bring them safely to Fanjosi.

Of the Gods that Tondiji has conquered, one of them is called Worlath and not Orlanth in GoG. I interpret that as meaning that the Storm God conquered by Tondiji is called Worlath. As supporting evidence, Worlath was one of the three false gods in the False Gods revolt in neighbouring Umathela. I don't know if Worlath is worshipped over all of Fonrit and would expect that he faces competition from Sikkanos. He is probably associated with Winter considering the powers used to defeat the Fonritans in the Season Wars.

                                            _
Zorak Zoran IMO is called something like Zoraq and is associated with undeath rather than fire. The Vadeli Admiral in Dindanko is a good example of what these cultists do to people. Gark the Calm is probably a perfidious heresy.

I do not believe that there is an assasin's cult of the Blue Moon in Fonrit but feel that as the Veldang women grow older, they become subject to fits of oracular activity. I have some notes on the cult and magic of Ompalam (the main cult of the Fonritans) but it is too fragmentary to post here.

>4) Who were the Yranian Leapers and where did they come from?
>Were they like the Exigers (Sp?).

According to the Umathelan writeup, the years of their domination in the Genertela Book 1 (1319-1331) coincide with a successful invasion of Umathela lead by the City of Faladje (1322-1331). Thus I would presume that the Leapers were a group of solar mystics who controlled the City of Faladje and Fonrit (by controlling Garangordos). After their domination ceased, the conquered Umathelan lands were controlled by Afadjann who gradually lost them during the Season Wars.

Thomas Gottschall:

>Is it true that Telmori turn to giant wolves with protection from normal
>weapons but not magic, iron and silver ? Or do they turn to werewolves
>those that were created by Hollywood ? I ask do they look like giant
>wolves or are they something different ?

Giant Wolves IMO.

PS I've just noticed that the mail address of p.metcalfe_at_student.etc does not work anymore. (A great renaming of mail addresses has occured but unbeknowst to me, they decided to junk the aliase s as well). Thus to reach me, one should mail phm30_at_student.etc. CHEN190_at_csc.etc also works.