OOO/Pharaoh/RE; Three Unanswerable Questions, and counting.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 17:55:48 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Joelson chips in to the list of:
> > Certain questions are off limits (e.g. `What is the God Learner secret?')

> Another unaswerable question is "What is the truth about Nyslaor,
> Arkat and Gbaji?"

Well remembered, Andrew. We're up to three... (I'm sure I have personal knowledge (in some abstract sense) of four or five, but my memory's getting sufficiently bad as to be able to remember them only under deep hypnosis, most likely.)

> BTW, in all this, "how does a guy like the Pharaoh keep from
> floating off to the Hero-Plane" hoopla, doesn't anyone wonder about the
> Only Old One?

Easy one; the OOO is actually an Office, not a single person, if I recall correctly.

I think there's a more general explanation to these Heroic Ruler types, and their ability to resist the notorious HP bouyancy(*) effect, to whatever extent they actually are. It's that he ability to rule the land, and keep on ruling the land, is exactly what they're questing for. So being the eternal ruler, and re-enacting the same rulership rites is precisely what they get "locked into", rather than being dragged off to sit on a star/cloud/other literal HP object. The downside is that you'll likely still become increasingly stereotyped and predictable in your actions, making you the proverbial HP sitting duck. And as with the Pharaoh, the Lunars have got in in for Ducks...

Cheers,
Alex.
- --
(*) Tangent: I wonder how the Star Trek official writer's guide insists you pronounce "bouyancy"? Boo-ee-an-sea? The mind fairly boggles.