Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #62

From: Chris Bell <remster_at_interport.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 00:11:46 -0400

Hello, all. My Hard Drive died recently, so for a while I was off line and digestshave been piling up in mailbox. Due to a Virus which messed up aforementioned
Hard Drive, I lost all the replies for the Poll. In a day or two I'll repost the questions,
if anyone would like to take another go at it. My deepest apologies for the lost data.

Moving on to recent topics...

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 01:49:44 -0400
> From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
> Subject: Clay on Lunars; MoLaD; Stars
>
> ____
> Clay writes (nice to see you again, Clay!),
>
> > I could not help but think that the Red Goddess (or more precisely,
> > mortal Rufelza), was a God Learner (in intention, anyway) or con-
> > structed herself using God Learner techniques. In short, the
> Goddess
> > is a God Learner construct (???).
>
> Plausible, but what does it gain us? There do appear to have be pre-
> existing Lunar Goddesses in Peloria; mortal Rufelza (at least at
> first)
> was embodied in a young girl, Teelo Norri, one of the "Mothers"; it's
> well known that Pelorian myth was "virgin territory", untouched by the
>
> God Learners to any significant extent; and that the ritual of the
> Seven Mothers was a dire magical conspiracy.

Interesting ground, treaded here. I ask this - instead of the Red Goddess
a God Learner, perhaps the Seven Mothers or the first Red Emporer, the first Moonson, was?(Doskalos?) Perhaps the form we see of the Red Goddess is literally a constructed deity, combining mythic techniques to mold
and form the older Pelorian Moon Goddesses (Rufelza, etc.) into a more useful form (religiously/politically,etc?)

Forum Questions...

Does anyone know where I can mail order a copy of KoS, as well as Greg's other works? In order to understand some of the debates going on here at the Digest, I need to catch up on my reading.

God Learners and Illumination...

Coud Illumination have protected some God Learners from the wrath of the Gift Bringers? This may be important, as some of these very same Illuminated God Learners, or there descendants, were involved in the re-creation of the Red Goddess. At the very least, I assume that

the 7 Mothers themselves were Illuminated. Has anyone explored this line of thought in previous digests?

EWF Magic...

The EWF is a group that I've always had interest in, due to the fact I never
really knew that much about them. In RPG terms, how would EWF magic differ from the traditional Rune and Battle Magic (Divine/Spirit) Magic available to the cultures around Dragon Pass and central Generatela?
I think it would be a hoot to game in a Pavis where the rubble is actually a
large, thriving city!

>From what little I know, the Empire of the Wyrm's Friends would be
exotic,
sophisticated and decadent, Sorcery and exotic magics and cults would abound.
EWF experts, to what extant did the EWF reach? Was it merely a Dragon Pass
phenomenon, or did it reach to the Holy Country and up into Peloria?

As an addendum, would the Draconic secrets that Argrath uncovered (whichever one)
be accessible to members of the standard local cults in the Dragon Pass area, via a vehicle such as the subcult of Aroka, or Orlanth Dragonfriend?

If this info has already been discussed on the Digest, if someone can point out which Websites or issues of the Digest contain this info, I'll go reference it at Loren Miller's Website and check back issues of the Digest, so as not to waste bandwidth.

Til next time, Aloha!

mailto:remster_at_interport.net