Why Illuminated God Learners?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 97 23:24 MET DST

V.S. Greene
> I believe "officiallly" the God Learners were not Illuminates.
>Unofficially, I would think that some of them would most certainly have
>learned about illumination and its advantages and acheived it.

Hmm. I don't quite see why a western materialist would willingly undergo a heavily spiritual experience (illumination) if he can get the benefits (immunity from spirits of reprisal, mostly - is there any other munchkin (=GL) dream available from illumination?) by changing that cult's rules without attempting to think queer?

>I remember
>reading somewhere that the creation of the Goddess did have some God Learner
>aspects, but I couldn't find that during a quick scan of my stuff.

The Red Goddess (and her creators, the 7Moms) did introduce highly manipulative experimental HQing into Peloria. This seems to have been a new weapon in Pelorian warfare. Previous HQing manipulations like the Carmanian March seem to have followed ancient precedents, and to have remained mostly unopposed.

> I rather like the idea of a hidden God Learner being involved in the
>Goddess Project,

I just wonder why. And which of the six mothers (other than Teelo Norri)?

>and anyway, there must be surviving God Learners someplace;
>where else would all this post-Second Age material often condemned as God
>Learner-ish come from? :)

The God Learners left behind lots of imitators who were very adept in imitating their mistakes, it seems.