Ducks vs Undead (Quack!! Glub! Glub! Glub!)

From: Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:11:28 +0400

Stephen Martin:

> According to the original information in Cults of Terror, Swamps were not
> anathema to vampires -- it is only running water they have to avoid. So,
> a vampire could also stalk ducks in and near the marsh.

Yeah, I know but unless the Vampire has knowledge of all the currents, he could suddenly walk into a moving stream and be annihilated - is it worth the risk. I reckon Vampires would not go into open water unless they knew it was certain to be still. A Swimming Pool would be safe, now there's a thought.

Linguistics:

True, Gor is a valid root, not so sure about Uma for Storm (presumably Umath/Humakt = Storm), I always thought of Worlath as a corruption of Orlanth, similarly Humath/Humakt and Ehilm/Yelm. Admittedly Earth/Land Goddesses normally end in -a. Sure, some of the modern stuff is linguistically based, but can we assume all of it is and draw conclusions? I still think they are shaky at best. Fun, but shaky.

V.S. Greene
> It does hit me though just why the ducks hang out by the Marsh. They
> can handle the Undeads but others really can't. It gives them extra
> protection.

Sure, they can swim around the undead and stab them with their little swords (what is the best mode of underwater attack - impaling weapons, what are most undead resistant to - impaling weapons - Ha! Ha!) or they can be ripped apart by a beefed up Mummy or Zombie. Guess who wins? Ducks do have valid tactics against undead, but these mainly involve upsetting boats or barges, tipping zombies and skeletons into deep water and then running away while the Undead get to their feet and walk slowly to the nearest island. However, Duck Shamans would be able to bless Water and hurt Vampires (I read Vanitas by SP Somatov the other day and there was a Thai Sage who managed to Bless the Rain and drive off a Vampire - could be a good Hero Power or Spell for a Water Cult - Bless Rain). Anyone can burn undead, assuming they are not too soggy, once undead come onto land they can be ambushed and destroyed like anything else. In water, they reign supreme though. Pity they can't swim (with the exception of Vampires who prefer not to as explained above).

Anyway, got to go for sure this time.

Simon