Alternative Glorantha systems

From: Chris Bell <remster_at_ns1.interport.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:09:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, everyone. I'm dropping out of lurking mode for a moment to ask the Digest advice on game systems. No, this is NOT another thinly veiled foray back into the sobjectivist debate! :)

Has anyone written adaptations of Glorantha into other systems, such as the Other Game (c), Gurps, or Storyteller? (yech). Lately I've been highly enamored of Gurps, and while we all love Glorantha and the basic cult structure, etc, in certain ways RQ3 sucks beans. I for one can't find an old copy of RQ2, and I want to use a game system that's a bit more accessible. Despite it's mechanical problems, Storyteller has the advantage of moronically easy character creation (fill the dots!), the game mechanics are just plain awful, although the clan/tribe/whatever setup for their supernatural games can possibly work well with Rune Cults (no, I'm *not* proposing some cheesy WoD/Glorantha crossover. Besides, we know who would win. "Vampire? Feel the power of Humakt, Chaos Spawn!") I'd also be interested in whatever other systems folks may have converted Glorantha too. I'm especially interested in Gurps, which would be perfect for Glorantha, except the lack of anything resembling a POW stat or Magic points for powering spells. The literature seems to imply that the energy of one's own soul powers spells. The concept of sacrificing a slight portion of one's own soul-strength for God-Magic seems hard to do in Gurps mechanics directly. Suggestions?

Also, if folks think that this is off topic, I will take it to e-mail.

Thanks,
Chris Bell
remster_at_interport.net