Dosakayo

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:32:06 PDT

Simon Bray:

>Has anybody any ideas about the Teshnan port of Dosakyo (sp?), which
>was established by the Kethaelan fleet. Does it still have a strong
>western population or were they driven out by the Kralori fleet? I
>picture it as being a little like Calcutta during the hay day of the
>British Admiralty, a place of trade and ship building, controlled by
>representatives of the High Admiral of Boats and the Pharoah. Imports
>would include exotic wood, spices, fabrics and tea (or tea like
>drinks).

Teshnos IMO is the Golden Triangle of Glorantha. Thus Dosakayo is more like 18th century Hong Kong in character (think Opium rather than Tea!). I believe the port is on the Isle of Melib rather than mainland Teleos.

The Kethaelans have left long ago after the Kralori sunk their hopes of a maritime empire. Since then, the port has fallen under the aegis of the Harsaltar, the Prince of Melib. He condones of the flotsam and jetsam that flock to the solf-houses of Dosakayo for the city is a lucrative money-earner for him which which he hopes to forge a new Teshnos. I think he subcontracts justice and policing in the city to tongs, vadeli, tsankthi and seshnegi free-booters who are free to do as they please so long as they pay him the taxes that are his. I don't think he allows his melibic subjects to enter the port.