Blue men

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:11:47 +0800

Sandy said
> The Loper people, Pelorian blue people (now extinct),
>Fonritian blues, and Zamokil blues are all definitely Veldang.

        3 of these are exactly as I assumed (well, I strongly suspected the Lopers where Veldang and Steve Martin confirmed it to me when I met him on my travels). But the Pelorian Blues are Veldang? That was not what I was expecting. There is the obvious question of how two independent populations arose on opposite sides of the world. But also I always thought the blue people of Peloria were water linked, and where blue people in much the same way as some Weartagi are blue - its an indication of some triolini cross-breeding. Hence 'Innsmouth look' jokes (as found on Nicks web page, I believe) and so on.

        I thought that the various types of 'blue men' described in the Entekosiad referred to different degrees of variance from human.

        And, not disregarding Sandy's comments that they are quite culturally distinct, do the Pelorian blues believe in any blue moon (or other celestial body) links to themselves?

        Stephen Martin also said (besides confirming that the Lopers are racially Veldang) that the Lopers came from Pamaltela via Melib in Teshnos - - how did they get there? Via some no-longer existent landmass, boats, or was it a big mass teleport? For some reason the Loper kangaroo-like teleporting beasts make me think of a surrealist Pern.

And Peter Metcalfe had a bit of rant on the subject of blue people, from which I excerpt
>Why are you so against culturally seperate which is
>what I presume you mean by 'independant' blue races

        No, Peter. By race I meant race not culture, unsurprisingly. The Zamokil Veldang and the Lopers are culturally different but the same race. Exactly how much their cultures have in common is another question, but they certainly are very different. Nevertheless, the Lopers are Veldang. Which I find more aesthetically pleasing than to have yet another slight variant on humanity distinguished by their blueness.

        Cheers

                David

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #155