Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #155

From: Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:28:58 +0300 (EET DST)

 About involuntary trickster initiation:

 The person in question would propably get nothing out of it him/herself,  like rune magic. But the as the clan wanted to get him/her outlawed,  they did it the easier way, than to gather false evidence for Thing.  Also, those who are mentally in the level of a child, would likely  get this treatment, and be guarded by whoever orlanthi would want  them under his rule, most likely the father of poor trickster.

 Rape as an act of creating Wakboth:

 That never came unto my mind. In those cultures, whose myths acknowledge  this, rape would be most likely be something like a high crime,  punishable by death. Not like in some earth cultures, where women must  marry their assaulter! But that would also explain why broos are so  horny. It simply is more holy to them to rape the victim, rather than  just to torture him/her thoroughly. This also makes crimes against  closest kin more serious in Orlanthi culture.

 Where can I find the Trollkin Value abilities list? If anyone can  point it to me, I (and Vesa Lehtinen) would be most grateful.

 About campaing environment suitable to my ideas:

 I have been thinking about starting a new campaign. To me it does not  matter so much, where on Glorantha it would locate to, but rather  that what would go on over there. I have few environmental requirements,  which would be the basis of the campaign:

  1. There must be a totalitaristic goverment. There must be some people, who are opressed heavily, and generally shades of gray must color the streets. SS-troopers would immediately arrest anyone who is having a loud party or practicing other obvious anti-state activity. Good example is nazi-German.
  2. There must be guilds, or parties. People can't do anything by themselves, even with their armor and trusty sword, but they must get the people behind the idea they are vouching for.
  3. Also, it would be nice if it all happened in a one big city, so I would have easier time making up surroundings.

 I have already considered Glamour, but it lacks the necessary government.  Although orlanthi are peppered with arrows very quickly indeed, most of  the people are seemingly satisfied with 'bread and circus.'

 Nochet would also do, but who would be opressed?

 Also, what Ralian city-states have the elements 1) and 2)?

 Thanks to all beforehand,

 Panu 'Passo' Pasanen.
 Gloranthapage, mostly in finnish: http://www.students.tut.fi/~passo/rq/