Totalitarian Uz n' Elves

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:22:42 -0400 (EDT)

David Dunham sez:

> James Frusetta, smarting from the suggestion that trolls would oppress
> humans, suggested:

Damn straight! Trolls are *liberators*. They liberate your food, your magical items, your children... ;) This isn't oppression! It frees you from material concerns... ;)

> Like much of Umathela? Sorry, but it doesn't seem terribly oppressive to
> me. More like being ruled by benevolent aliens. And at many times, the
> humans seem as much allies as subjects.
Mmm. Which is why I actually *did* specify Fronela, where the elves seem more interested in a "convert by the sword" mentality (granted, they haven't started yet -- it's a Hero Wars event). Love plants or get planted!

Now, perhaps the Umathelans are varient Barksists, believing first in "Ecology in One Country" and frowning on the World Ecologic Revolution of the Fronelans...

But actually, the original poster (I thought -- I could be wrong) was looking for totalitarian settings, yes? And if anything, the trolls aren't totalitarian.

No, really -- I'm not just being my usual uz apologist self. ;) Trolls don't really seem to *care* about the culture of those they rule over, as long as they get their tribute and can exploit food. They're like Turks or Mongols -- aside from a few base restrictions, the subject peoples can do what they want. The trolls have no interest in making them act like trolls, just in exploiting you.

Elves (at least in Fronela) *do* strike me as Totalitarian, at least within the confines of the Elf Forest. It's a nice life, perhaps, but with many more restrictions than a troll would place on you: you fit a certain facet of the ecology of the elf woods, or you leave/die. Seems rather totalitarian to me...

Not that, say, I'm biased on these matters, or anything. ;)

Jamuz