Re: Teshnos Trip; RQ3/4; Sartar

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 05:26:10 -0500

Stephen has lost the thread:

>> The original trip to Teshnos was a sea voyage carried out during the >> Closing -- a bit of a continuity cock-up.

> Actually, this is not true -- when I brought this problem up, Greg
> looked at me like I was stupid, and said that of course Tarkalor went
> across Prax to Teshnos.

That was, of course, *after* I had pointed out the original problem to Greg, and suggested a land journey (including Monrogh's two visits to =

the Praxian Sun Dome Temple at either end) as the solution, which he's adopted. Please don't assume Greg pays no attention to what we say. This was originally a slip-up he missed, that has been rectified since.

And be careful saying "this is not true". Remember last time?

John writes:

> Where is a good place to buy RQ stuff in the UK?

Orc's Nest (just off the Charing Cross Road, in London) has stuff -- they recently had "Drastic Prax" in their window display. Esdevium Games of Aldershot are reliable, and Oberon Mole's Postal Emporium is a fine thing, too. I'll ask around for contact addresses.

> When is/Is RQ IV coming out?

No idea. Previous Avalon Hill ads have been optimistic; the game won't be Gloranthan, in any case (as AH no longer have the rights to print Gloranthan stuff). And I understand backwards compatibility is *not* an AH priority, so it may be a wacky Victorian cyberpunk game with unrecognisable rules (if it ever happens).

> Is it worth waiting for RQ4 or get the stuff for RQIII?

Don't wait: buy all the RQ3 stuff you can find. It's out of print and will never be reprinted in its current form. And RQ4 won't be able to do Trollpak, the Cult of Kyger Litor, and all the other reprints we know and love -- as they're Gloranthan, and it ain't. And even if it was -- how long do you think you'd be waiting, eh?

> I am intrigued by mentions of people (mainly, I gathered, Lunars)
> being Enlightened.

I think you mean "Illuminated". The best sources for Illumination are the "Dorastor: Land of Doom" and "Lords of Terror" RQ3 books; the old "Cults of Terror" had material, too. It's essentially a mystically insightful state that profoundly changes your vision of the otherworld. And makes foreigners very suspicious of you.

> What is this, how do you get it, what are the ramifications, and
> are there are rules governing it for RQIII?

Yep: see "The Path of Illumination" in the Dorastor book.

> One of my favorite adventures from White Dwarf had a team of Lunars
> against the player charecter. One of the Lunars was a magician from
> a college of sorcery, who seemingly had skills like the sorcery rules
> for manipulating what looked like spirit magic spells.

The rules for Lunar Magic (sorcery-like manipulation of spirit-magic spells) are in "Gods of Glorantha", one of the Avalon Hill boxed sets. Sandy's Lunar Sorcery is different. Lunar Magic is a cult speciality of the Red Goddess: you have to be an Illuminate and a heavy-duty mage or priest to even *think* about joining (and even then, the Examiners have to admit you).

The scenario in question was almost certainly Jon Quaife's "A Tale To Tell", reprinted (with some new bits) in "Shadows on the Borderlands", along with two other fine scenarios, "Gaumata's Vision" and "Dyskund Caverns"; the latter, by Ken Rolston, was also first printed in White Dwarf as "Black Broo of Dyskund", and has also been expanded for "Shadows on the Borderlands".

Resources

See David Dunham's page for lists of RQ3 products and some ideas on what to buy first: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>

See Loren Miller's page for the Glorantha Digest FAQ, old but good: the website is listed at the end of every issue of the Digest: <http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/rolegame.html>

Archives of the Digest can be obtained by sending requests to the mailing software, <majordomo_at_chaosium.com>. Include in the text of the message a request in the format 'get glorantha-digest v05.n218' (getting the syntax exactly as shown). If you get it wrong, you'll get a help file back to peruse at leisure. This is the same address you send 'unsubscribe' messages to, for those too lazy to read.

King Sartar built the cities in Sartar: not the Lunars. Urban life *isn't* natural to the Orlanthi tribes that make up his kingdom: out in Greydog lands, we think it's all rather odd what city folk get up to. Bain't normal, if you ask me. How can they live cooped up like that, crammed next to one another, and not keep fighting? We Orlanthi live a long way from our neighbours; it's the only way you can stand them...

::::
Nick
::::