Tarkalor and dates

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:54:00 +0000

Steve trying to help on Tarkalor:

> The whole trip took place before the Sun Dome thing, surely --
I'd have thought so myself - he sounds a bit more mature then. Though I wonder how much of his success was due to his companions? Monrogh seems to have been the thinker.

> thinking about the events of the game, T's half-brother Jarosar was
> probably the Prince then.

His half-brother Jarolar, or his nephew Jarosar?

> So, sometime between 1552-1557.

Those are the dates for Jarolar's reign in the family tree on p48. CHDP gives 1550-1565.

> I believe that Tarkalor's journey to Teshnos took place sometime in
> this era, though I have no proof of this.
I assume it must be before his Sun Dome success. At least, "The Birth of Elmal" implies it.
And the Sun Dome in Dragon Pass was set up before 1550, since a party is sent out with Dorasar then. So, the Teshnos trip was considerably before 1550.

Bearing in mind the link between his Teshnos trip and the Prax Sun Dome, how do you tie these dates in with the Light List? 1532-1537 - assorted kin-slaying nomads
1537-1556 - Poskuturri Criminal-slayer (note Dorasar appears, and Varthanis with him, in 1550)
1556-1567 - Zentakos the Blind
1567-1593 - Varthanis Brighthelm (who became Count 17 years after arriving in Prax).

I'd wondered if Tarkalor hit the Prax Sun Dome as early as 1537, and helped Poskutturi kick out the assorted brothers. I note that Jarolar was born in 1519 (if you believe the family tree), so the earliest Tarkalor could have been born would be 1521 (putting Onelisin in 1520). His son Terasarin was born in 1541 (again, if you believe the family tree) when he would have been 20.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml