Babeester Gor initiates

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 18:45:49 -0800

Mr Tines assumed

> We assumed that in general, career initiates of Babeester Gor
> were not common, but that each clan steading would have at
> least an Ernalda shrine. So who would guard them? The
> conclusion was that the bulk of Babeester Gor initiates
> would be bored teenage girls with axes who are there as
> much to get them personally out of the way for a while,
> either as punishment or due to general ineptitude in
> other tasks; and who would in the main eventually leave the
> cult for more socially acceptable positions in due course

This sounds more like they're Babeester Gor lay members. I think being initiated to any of the odd and unusual deities (e.g. anyone besides Orlanth or Ernalda, and possibly Barntar) is a serious commitment. A BG initiate is essentially making a statement that she will never marry, after all.

On the other hand, I think the RQ-style distinctions break down a bit with the earth cults -- surely a grandmother doesn't have to go some big initiation to switch from Ernalda to Asrelia (though there would be a ceremony affirming her new status).