order and chaos.

From: Simon Hibbs <s.hibbs_at_forestry.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:20:59 +0000 (GMT)

Bill Thompson :

>Admantium then is Truestone that has been taken by the Mostali and
>tempered. In effect they have taken and strengthened the order within
>it.
>
>The conclusion here is that Law is not the antithesis of Chaos, Order is.
>Eurmal was not a chaotic God so much as he was a dis-ordered God.
>
>Magic is a weakening of the ties of order which allow Chaos to act in the
>world (a microcosm of the God world) and from the Chaos comes the true
>power of magic creation.
>
>Admantium as a refined source of order reinforces the order of the world
>around it and hence becomes the bane of magic. Acting to tie together
>that which magic loosens.

None of which realy makes much sense - but hey, it's mythology!

If Order is the opposite of Chaos, what's the opposite of Disorder?

I'm afraid you realy don't seem to be clarifying anything, just adding to the profusion of confused terminology.

Looking at the other powers in Glorantha we can see that they aren't realy opposites, but extreme ends of a continuum. Death is necessery to Life, Motion is only meaningfull relative to stasis, Truth and Illusion are wholly relative to one's point of view.

The physical matter of Glorantha was orriginaly created from chaos, but it was changed fundamentaly by that process - it isn't chaos anymore and confusing chaos with magic is unhelpfull.

Magic is what makes Glorantha what it is. Everything in Glorantha that isn't either pure Chaos, or pure Law, is magical. I think you'll find that pure chaotic 'matter' has just as much of an inimical nature to magic as Adamantium.

Adamantium is immutable, unchangeable, in a sense untouchable, cut off from the rest of the universe. A thing of Adamantium simply IS.

Magic is about relationships, how things are connected, bound together - how they influence each other. Magic cannot exist in the presence of that which cannot be connected to, bound with or influenced.

Equlay, magic cannot exist in contact with pure chaos. It is disrupted, absorbed and disintegrated.

Chaos is the howling, endless void of unbeing.

Glorantha is Magic.

Simon