Pikestaffs and other long wooden things

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 12:28:28 -0500

Sergio Mascarenhas said:

> Yelmalion fight with piques and piques need poles. Correct me if I'm
>wrong, but poles are made of a single piece of wood. A pique's pole can be
>something between 3 and 6 meters long. That requires either a tree with
>long branches or with a long tronc.
>Now, Prax is semi-desertic so you wouldn't expect to find there the
>adequate trees for pique's poles. I started to wonder where do Yelmalion
>find te poles for their piques. (If there isn't an acceptable answer, no
>poles => no piques => no yelmalion on Prax. But we know there are yelmalion

>on Prax, don't we !?)

Prax is a plains, not a desert. Trees grow along the Zola Fel in spots, most
notably the Great Bog, as well in the hills to the north and west of Prax.   Both
are adequate supplies for poles for pikes, tents and travois (the pair of poles
 the Praxians hang on either side of their animals to carry goods on. The Yemalians need wood for a lot of purposes besides pikes most notably building houses and temples. The frame at least has to be wood on the mud brick buildings, especially roof rafters.

The other possibility is trade. The Praxians and Yemalians do trade with their neighbours to a certain extent.

Your other suggestions are pretty neat but probably not necessary.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca
www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/realm/5545

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #262