Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:56:01 -0800

Marion wrote:

>Seems to me that you still haven't got over it!!! Can some-one _please_
>explain to me what the fascination is with polearms in RPGs???? Does it
>really matter that much what shape the pole is that skewers an opponent as
>long as they don't get up again afterwards?

I, for one, have no idea. Damn near every culture has come up with the "long pointy stick" concept.

One quick observation about spears - in the course of my ponderings of Orlanthi cultures, like most RW cultures, the Orlanthi have the spear or axe as the most common weapon - with the sword being the weapon showing wealth and importance. That stuff about "elemental weapons" is a poetic association (sword is wind and spear is sun beam) common to traditional Orlanthi kennings that the God Learners took way too seriously. More on this and other tangents in Enclosure II - including way spiffy new stuff!

>Or is it just that Freud was right?

Yes, Freud was a rather remarkable visionary for his time. Still sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Jeff