Elder Races stereotypizing

From: Pasanen Panu <passo_at_students.cc.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:22:10 +0200 (EET)

 Stephen Martin:

> > Why there are no Elder Races that compete with humans of 'lebensraum'
> > directly and in same environment, I wonder.. The beings of 'myth' are
> > hidden from the Joe Everyman, sort of.
> There used to be. However, at the end of the First Age they started a
> number of wars (dwarfs versus trolls, elves versus dwarfs, trolls versus
> everyone), and by the end of the Second Age the three greatest Elder
> Races were so reduced in population and strength that they were relegated
> to secondary roles in Glorantha.

 Good point. It somehow bothers me, that although Gloranthan history  etc. is unique, most common cultural and historical themes are  so blatantly regognizable from even here.

> Before this time, the great power and populations of the three main Elder
> Races were probably sufficient to keep down the populations of most or
> all of the other Elder Races. And by the end of the Second Age, the
> _humans_ were now powerful and populous enough to do this to the other
> Elder Races.

 Comparing the Elder Races to the Gods of Olympos, this is a welcome  difference.

 Peter Metcalfe:

> Because ordinary humans are so much more devious and more interested
> in what other humans want than any number of Elder Races. The lack
> of direct competition has benefits for the Elder Races. Because they
> prefer the territory that humans do not want (would you want to live
> in Dagori Inkarth? Or a hole in the ground?), the humans are less
> likely to compete with them which reduces the risk that the Elder
> Race becomes extinct.

 You miss my point, it seems. Why there are no elder races that  would still affect everyday life (of humans), so Gloranthans would not  life their lives in a human-community. Having amazons on island  somewhere far away(DoP POV) reminds me of ancient greek stories, again...

 The point is, that Elder Races are not common. They are as wondrous  as a Gold Dragon in the ToG, and handled with care. Why? They could  well be living next door to you. When 200 kg uz comes to loan  a cup of sugar, how can you say no?-)

 Panu Pasanen.