Uleria again

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:59:32 +0000

I said:
> Question 1: why is there a general assumption that these prostitutes are
> female? This is the comparatively sane Orlanthi society we're talking
And got several answers.
I must admit, I hadn't even considered homosexual prostitues. Fair point. I was thinking more of prostitues to service female customers (who could of course also be of either gender). In the RW these are a minority, at least in part because of the double standard: it's OK and encouraged for men to have many partners, but discouraged for women. In Orlanthi society at least, this would not be the case. The other reason for women to avoid casual sex of course is because the consequences can take nine months too long. Given reliable contraception (if we allow this for Uleria), this problem also vanishes. At that point I'd expect customers to be equally divided between the genders.

I'd never even heard of a full cult write-up for Uleria, no. So I'll go and read that before making many comments on the spells. For now, I'll just suggest that what I know of the "Community" spell makes it very useful in cities, especially those with mixed-background populations. In fact, how similar is it to "City Harmony"?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/