Re: Phases of the Goddess

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:43:05 -0500

Richard asks:

> Could someone please remind me whether and where I read something
> about the different phases of the Red Goddess (starting with "maiden"
> maybe...).

Where? Probably here. As to whether you read it... now *that's* a deep philosophical question!

What was it about? If it's the piece I'm thinking of, most likely it's one of David Cake's reconstructions of the "prehistory" of the Red Goddess, tracing her career through the seven prior Lunar Goddesses:

        Verithurusa     the Innocent Maiden, descending beneath the
                        horizon and returning besmirched and naked.

        Lesilla         the Queen of Mernita, who gave her life for
                        her people but was betrayed by the Emperor.

        Gerra           the Suffering Woman, degraded and tormented
                        throughout the long death of the Universe.

        Rashorana       Illumination: "To live is to suffer: but to
                        suffer is not to live." Rebirth of Everything.

        Orogeria        the Divine Moon Huntress of dawn-age Ariria,
                        who hunted and tamed the Star Bear.

        Natha           the Avenging Balancer, bringing Nemesis to
                        maintain the necessary duality of the world.

        Zaytenera       She Who Comes, the Great Mind, the state of
                        Universal Consciousness with the Cosmic Whole.

The Red Goddess, or Rufelza (this name is the Pelorian words meaning "Red Goddess", nothing more), is the contemporary incarnation of the primal Moon Goddess, who manifested in turn as each of the previous Lunar Goddesses. And *she* is known as Sedenya, the Turner. But, today, Sedenya is Rufelza (is Sedenya). Got it?

We'll be printing more about these lovely goddesses in the final version of the "Rough Guide to Glamour", expected this summer (if we can get all the goodies and approvals we need from Chaosium/Issaries by then). Greg's=

pamphlet, "The Story Of Our Red Goddess, Called Rufelza", goes into more detail (and more allusion) about each of them.

Each of the Goddesses above is associated with a phase of the Red Moon (i= n
order, Full Half (Verithurusa) through to Full Moon (Zaytenara). The stor= y
of the Red Goddess -- and especially her HeroQuest -- follows the path of=

the earlier Lunar Goddesses. Zaytenera, at the end, may be a focus for White Moonie devotion. In my "Moonbroth Murders" scenarios, the ceremony of Holy Week at the Oasis includes an appropriately-phased day devoted to=

a ritual for each of the preceding Lunar Goddesses, culminating with the Holy Day of the Goddess Herself at the Full Moon.

Each of the Goddesses' Myths is retold by an appropriate member of the Seven Mothers: in order, these are Teelo Norri, Queen Deezola, Jakaleel the Witch, Danfive Xaron, Yanafal Tarnils, Irrippi Ontor and -- of course=

Bravo! to Simon for his all-in-one-place summary of the Id, Ego and Superego as they apply to Gloranthan Elder Races. I used to think I sort-of-understood what Greg and Sandy were getting at; now I *know* I do, and see that it makes sense, too. Thanks for digging this out!

::::
Nick
::::