High Noon.

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:20:42 GMT

Gary R Switzer said:

> 2)Noon: Or to say, that time of day when the sun is closest to being
> directly overhead and casts the shortest shadows would not be a constant
> concept, but totally dependent on where you are...earlier in the day the
> further east you are...with coresponding differences in daily temperatures
> and weather. Yes?

I think no. It seems to me that Noon on Glorantha is the hour at which Yelm is at his highest point above the lozenge, in the mid point between Dawn and Dusk.

But yes, the hottest point of the day would be at differing times in differing places. Umm. Hadn't thought of that.

In the East Isles, things start out with a blaze of heat at Dawn and then get cooler. On the far side, the day would build to a climax of heat as Yelm races closer. Only in the centre would the cycle of the days be the same as on Earth.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.