Time and Space

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:25:09 -0800

I should know better, but I have to ask Peter about Gloranthan Time Zones...

>Timezones are not dependant upon timepieces. They were undetectable
>to the sailors in the Magellanic expedition until they returned home
>and found they missed a day.

So, I wonder which one of the eighteen survivors mentioned it?

	"No, really, it's Thursday...read the log!"
	"There, there Hernando...you'll feel better once you've been bled"

Seriously, how wide are your Gloranthan Time Zones and how many of them are there? Are they approx. 1,000 miles each like the RW? I suppose Jane Williams would like to know as well. And on the subject of clocks you say:

>To detect this would require something more accurate than waterclocks.

Now I think the Mostali and the Westerners have such accurate clocks, though for different reasons and using different methods, and maybe the God Learners had them too. Hmmm, in fact I suppose most Gloranthans might look in horror/amusement/distrust at someone trying to explain a concept like Time Zones to them.

On Solar Parallax Trotsky says:

<<Me>>
<< But, couldn't one measure degrees of arc and notice differences without  knowing how big the Sky Dome is?>>

> And the answer is... ? :-)
> Seriously, this would be correct if the Sky Dome doesn't have an
>effectively infinite diameter (a matter on which there is still
confusion).
>But as not even Greg knows how big the Dome is, AFAIK, nobody in the RW
has a
>hope of working it out this way. Yes, there are presumably some people on
>Glorantha who know the answer*, but they aren't telling us poor GMs, the
>swines!

I'm certainly confused now, because thinking about the speed at which Yelm would have to cross an effectively infinite diameter Sky Dome and that the Blue Streak would drop at from such a Dome into the Pool makes my brain hurt. Can the fall of the Blue Streak be timed (say in heartbeats) at all?

And finally, if light is bendy, does it bend at a constant rate or does the horizon expand towards the sun at dawn or dusk, contract at noon and nearly disapear altogether at night because the light would bend down towards Yelm in the Underworld? I think I am going to go lie down now.

Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies